Monday, December 14, 2009

Through the Years They All Will Be Together

Unlike most members of the blogosphere, I prefer not to write extensively about rumors and speculation. Not only can this type of journalism (and make no mistake, blogging is the future of journalism) be unsavory and libelous, but I believe that it leads people to diminish the relevance and stature of my work. With that said; I keep hearing the same rumor from a variety of sources in Washington and Kansas, and I feel that it is time to address its importance and significance.


Todd and Vicki Tiahrt recently attended a White House Christmas Party.


The rumor actually makes sense to me. President Obama seems like a cool guy, so I’m sure it would be fun to sing Christmas carols, drink Egg Nog, and discuss Tiger Woods’s marital problems with him. If I had the opportunity to go to a White House Christmas party, I’d even offer to bring the nutmeg. The problem is that I’m just a regular American who is not trying to run for United States Senate.


Todd Tiahrt IS running for Senate, and when you are an elected official representing a constituency (and seeking to represent a larger constituency) these parties have a significance greater than Winter Lager and Frank Sinatra songs. The Tiahrts' wining and dining with liberal elites in the White House seriously undermines his ability to properly represent the best interests of regular Kansans like you and me.



Furthermore, this ‘Candy Cane Summit’ as I like to call it brings to question the honesty and effectiveness of Mr. Tiahrt’s criticisms of Obama as the “most liberal President ever.” If Obama’s the most liberal president ever, then why would a Congressmen and Senatorial candidate who describes himself as a “true conservative” want to share cocoa and Christmas cookies with him?


I believe that the Candy Cane Summit gives more credence to my belief that Todd and Vicki Tiahrt are more interested in participating in the DC lifestyle than they are in representing the opinions of true conservatives across Kansas, as well as the rest of the heartland.


If the Tiahrts want to stand under the mistletoe with the Obamas, that’s fine with me. I just don’t want them to do it while representing the state of Kansas, or pretending that they are true conservative Republicans which they are not.


Dreaming of a White Christmas,


Publius

1 comment: